During COVID-19 and Beyond: 5 Technologies You Should Think About ASAP
Because we’re in this together…virtually!
We’re all stressed because of COVID-19 and all its implications and ramifications. To help us, in some small way, get through what is certain to be a long and challenging spring, we’ve pulled together tips, resources and inspiration.
This is just a start and we’ll be updating the blog regularly – so please let us know if you have anything helpful, interesting or just plain fun to share.
Helping your business
- Work with your carriers and provide information about “contactless” deliveries (we’ve seen this done with DHL orders that would regularly require signature).
- If you are in a high-volume business, like grocery and drug stores, you might send out emails/texts to loyalty program members telling them when crowds thin out, and reminding them they don’t need to panic-buy because more supplies are on the way, etc.
If you can, turn on features that allow consumers to opt-in to notifications about re-stocked inventory.
- If you are back-ordered/out-of-stock on certain items, tell shoppers upfront. It’s annoying when you’ve loaded up a cart, only to find out at checkout that half the order was unavailable for delivery or pick-up.
- Be transparent about inventory, especially if you sell products related to coronavirus prevention or treatment.
- Support businesses by purchasing a gift certificate/gift card to redeem later.
- Donate blood – there’s an urgent need; find a blood donation center near you.
- Volunteer or donate to federally-qualified health centers to help people without healthcare get the care they need – learn more here.
- Communities are coming together and offering to help with errands for those with high risk. You can also help by offering services like prescription pick-up, grocery delivery, transportation and direct monetary donations to your neighbors. Join your neighborhood Facebook group to find out how you can help or if you live in an apartment building organize a group for the building.
- Donate to organizations that feed the hungry (Meals on Wheels, local food pantries, Save the Children, and many more).
- Only buy what you need, do not hoard!
- Foster a pet. Restaurants, bars, and stores aren’t the only spots affected by the lockdowns. Without the usual rounds of walk-in visitors, animal shelters are looking for other ways to find homes for their charges and are asking the public to adopt or foster a furry friend to ride out the lockdowns. Try contacting a local shelter so you don’t have to travel far.
Examples of retailers stepping up
- Walmart, Target, CVS, and Walgreens to loan spaces for coronavirus test centers.
- Comcast and T-Mobile are upgrading every customer to unlimited data until the middle of May.
- Uber Eats is offering free delivery for independent restaurants.
- LMVH has shifted perfume to hand sanitizer manufacturing and providing it to the French government for free. And now masks!
- Stop & Shop will be open 6-7:30am specifically geared to accommodate customers 60 and older. Most grocery stores are now offering “senior hour”. Some have saved inventory specifically for seniors.
- Restaurants closing are donating their food to great causes like the food pantries and Meals on Wheels.
- Facebook, Apple, and other companies (nail salons, woodworkers, painters, landscapers) are donating equipment like face masks to hospitals and medical workers.
Passing your “social distancing” time
- One-Stop Destination for World Tours, Classes, and Travel Experiences You Can Have from Home
- Visit top museums across the world – virtually!
- Feeling inspired? Try the Getty Museum challenge!
- List of live streaming classical concerts
- Lunch doodles with Mo Willems! – drawing lessons
- Watch some Broadway musicals and plays
- YMCAs are offering free online classes
Come back next week – we’ll continue to add useful tips, good examples and fun and/or interesting options.
We all need to help each other to get through this, so please share any info, ideas or tips!
Are You Ready to Build, Grow, and Accelerate Your Business?